Saturday, September 25, 2021

Minor mishap

This spring, Sid bought a hammock swing for me and hung it in our campsite downhill from the house. It has gotten a LOT of use as my favorite resting and relaxing spot. When Virginia brings the kids out, it's also Sami's favorite spot. Take note that it is hung from a tree, with a rope. 


The hanging of it is worthy of note. It's the only tree in close proximity that had any chance of being suitable for a swing. It took Sid many attempts to get the rope over the branch, which is about 20 feet up. The height gives it a lovely motion in use, and I can also feel the sway of the tree in the wind. 

However, swings on ropes on trees eventually wear through the rope. 


This was, without a doubt, the most sudden change of position I have ever experienced! One second I was enjoying my book, and next thing I knew I was on the ground! On the one hand, I was glad none of the workers on site witnessed my sudden fall from grace; on the other hand, it would have been nice to get a little attention out of the crash! Hard packed dirt is NOT a soft landing, and I lay still for a minute or so before moving. It took a moment to get oriented to what had happened and assess potential injury. 

A solid landing on one's tush results in a solid jolt all the way up the spine. By evening I was feeling it all the way up in my neck, and to a lesser degree in the middle of my back. Also a very tender seat. Before bed I took a moment to hang on the pull-up bar, thinking my own body weight might decompress my spine. I immediately felt multiple vertebrae pop as it stretched out. 

The following day I was scheduled to babysit the grandkids all day and evening. A little soreness and less tolerance for playing on the floor, but not too bad. I did call and make an appointment with the chiropractor for the the next day. And hung from the bar again, with more back-popping as a result. 

At the chiro, he adjusted my back, neck and hips. The neck definitely was out of whack and popped loudly when adjusted. By the time I got home it was feeling noticeably better. I told him I had been hanging from the bar and he said I probably saved myself from a week of back pain. Heat to be applied when possible for a few days and a follow-up next week. 

Sid got my swing re-hung while I was at Virginia's babysitting, and while I trust him, I'm not so sure I trust the rope! I had some trepidation while sitting in it today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment