Wednesday, January 12, 2022

A Warm House- Almost

 After electrical, the next step is insulation. We are doing spray foam in the house, and batt in the shop. Because the shop will not be kept at warm at all times, cost beat out efficiency in our budget.

Spray foam requires a room temp of 40* and up to get the proper chemical reaction. Last week Troy told me to contact the propane company to get the tank delivered and the temps have been well below freezing for several weeks, so I assumed the tank would have to be in place so they could have heat in the house before applying the foam. I also had assumed that since the ground is now frozen solid, the holding tank for the shop septic and the well would have to wait for spring. I was wrong on all counts! 

The propane tank won't arrive until next week, and I got told by both the propane office and driver that they expected me to call for that back in October. I never gave anyone a projected timeline because I didn't know one, but they left me feeling like I had done something wrong. Oh, well.  

Sid and I went out today and were very surprised to see the spray foam done! Thank you, Lord, for 2 days with highs of 30+! 


Every place that had 2x's stacked together had the cracks sealed with putty. I've never seen that before. Never even seen it mentioned on the building groups. 


The upstairs is ready for the blow-in fluff; great room ceiling still needs the plastic to hold it in. 


They've just gotten started in the shop. The side rooms upstairs have batt in place.


The middle room has the roof vents in place. Sid used to make these vents at a previous job. 


The furnace was installed in the house. Even with in-floor heat, we still get a furnace. We need the air handler for the AC, and the price difference between with/without the heat is minimal enough to be worth getting the heat. It will act as a back-up heat source, and also help with temp regulation in the spring and fall when the in-floor heat cannot accommodate the sudden temperature swings. 


The holding tank behind the shop went in today. 


The well will also go in this week. Getting so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment