Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Doors

 There's not a lot to say about doors. They are usually an open-and-shut subject.

Rather than the usual 6-panel style, we chose a country plank style. They are pretty doors, knotty alder, and being solid instead of hollow-core they are good for sound reduction. They will be stained to match the kitchen cabinets. Hopefully. I realize a single stain can vary greatly according to the type of wood, and so many woods tend toward a red or yellow undertone. 

Here's a basic door.


We also have a pocket door to the bathroom.


Barn doors for the mud room closet and the master closet.


A Dutch door to the mud room, which will do the job of a doggy gate when needed. 


And my favorite, double-swing doors for the pantry and laundry room. 


I was surprised by the arrangement of the hinges. Troy was too, but said it provides the support needed to keep the door from sagging given the strength of the springs; there was noticeable sag with only one hinge up there. One of these hinges squeaks loudly! We teased about it being prevention against midnight pantry raids, but Troy said he's already ordered a replacement. 

These are my favorite because they solve an issue that has annoyed me for 21yrs in this house. Currently my route to the laundry room in the basement requires me to pass through 2 doors that compete for swing space. Opening one blocks the other, leaving either open hinders our path through the family room, and being on the stairways, they are usually closed to help with temperature control. Every trip to and from the laundry requires dealing with doorknobs when my hands are full of a basket of clothes. When I was little, we lived in one house that had a swinging door on the kitchen, and I have always thought that was so practical! 

No comments:

Post a Comment